want sar guidelines on CCI 6/32 with 8 or 16 megs

Jay Hiser jay at hqda-ai.ARPA
Fri Jul 29 08:07:33 AEST 1988

I'm responsible for 3 (soon to be 6) Tahoes, CCI's own Power 6/32
running CCI's SysVR2.22 and OFFICE POWER software.  Presently they
have 8 megs & 1 processor.  Plans are to increase memory to 16M.  All
systems have 1 controller & two drives.  One test machine (lucky one!)
will have an additional drive & controller.

I'm interested in some guidelines on what numbers I should be looking
at when using the sar utility.  Inode tables look good.  Hit ratio on
reads is 95%+, but on writes it hovers below 80%.  sar -u often shows
%wio over 20%.  I suspect that increasing the size of my disk caches
will improve performance (although performance is already more than
acceptable).

I'd appreciate comments & any official guidelines.  Thank you,

Jay Heiser
..uunet!daitc!otishq!TONS61!jayh