Sys-V-Berkeley hybrid & News

Mike Van Pelt vanpelt at unisv.UUCP
Sun Jun 12 02:30:39 AEST 1988

> The machine has some idiosynchrasies when porting existing packages.
> It appears to be "System V" everywhere but the directories...they are BSD.

AHA!!!  That's bound to be the source of my problem with expire.
I thought it was working back when we were on Berkely, but I wasn't
sure.  Netnews is a 'spare time' activity of mine at this site and this
is the first time I've installed news.  It was a while before I figured
out what expire was doing to me.  Now I know why.

I should have known.  I knew that the kernel is still BSD with a SysV
interface.  I even knew that the file systems were still BSD, because we
kept the same file systems when we moved up to SysV.  Live and learn...

Should be relatively easy to fix -- just paddle through the code and
reverse the BSD/USG tests where appropriate.

Thanks for the help!
   Mike Van Pelt