Yes, there are other people reading this group

David Osborne dao at cs.nott.ac.uk
Thu Jun 16 18:15:51 AEST 1988

In article <5147 at hqda-ai.ARPA> jay at hqda-ai.ARPA (Jay Hiser) writes:
>I've just taken over a sys admin job on an OFFICE POWER site
>(fortunately, none of the GS types are using unix!) that includes 3
>Power 6/32s, approx 29 mighty Power 5/20s, and innumerable power
>terms.  Having grown up on a VAX, BSD, vt100 environment, it is going
>to take a while to adjust.  I'm told that none of the 6s has broken
>for 6 months, so I can't ask for more reliability than that (the VAXes
>broke weekly).

yes, hardware reliability is the impression I get from our Power 6/32,
although we had the Instruction Processor board replaced two weeks
ago because of parity errors in the instruction cache.  some email
criticised the xfd drives for failing regularly, but we haven't had
our system long enough to find out about that ;-)
of course, we all take regular backups, don't we, so disk failures
aren't a problem, are they?

>To answer the emacs question, some of the CCI guys have got GNU emacs
>18.50 on their P6 & also have a pt.el file for the powerterm.  I'm not
>sure if my staff will be able to handle emacs without losing gray
>matter, so I still might be looking for jove.  Oh yes, someone else at
>CCI is using micro-emacs.

I use microEmacs 3.8b ok under SysV.2 (release 2.11.02, which is old now)
and have the latest jove to work on, but haven't unpacked it yet.
a colleague has the latest GNU Emacs to implement, likewise, but I know
that an identical machine to ours, at the University of Bath, is running
GNU Emacs (I forget which version).

>I'll be posting again as soon as I start to get ambitious (elm, news,
>rn, less, etc.).

I've only got 'less', out of those.
which flavour and release of OS are you running, SysV or BSD?

dave
--
David Osborne
| Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK |