want job control with CCI SYSVR2

David Osborne dao at cs.nott.ac.uk
Tue Sep 13 02:09:44 AEST 1988

In article <11234 at hqda-ai.ARPA> jay at hqda-ai.ARPA (Jay Hiser) writes:
>My documentation consists of the man pages for shl and sxt -- that's
>it.
>All I need are a couple of
>clues (its got to do with /dev/stx, right?) and I think I can get this
                                ^^^
				wrong, i think, that should read `sxt'
>to work.
>
>If you are using the shell layer manager on your SysV Tahoe, please
>let me know what the trick is.  Thank you,

i'm not using shell layers on our SysV tahoe, but i think
you need to configure the sxt pseudo-device into the kernel.
on our system, the file to edit is /usr/src/uts/machine/cf/CF
(the configuration file).  if you're running a newer SysV
than ours, you may well have the sysadm utility which will
have a "reconfigure kernel" option in a menu.

my System Admin Manual says
"several drivers and software subsystems are treated like device
 drivers without any associated hardware.  To include any of these
 pieces, a pseudo-device specification is used, as shown below:
     pseudo  device-name  [ howmany ]
 Examples of pseudo-devices are sxt, the job-control driver; pty,
 the pseudo-terminal driver (where the optional howmany indicates
 the number of pseudo-terminals to configure--32 is the default);
 and inet... Other pseudo-devices for the network include loop, ...;
 imp ...; and ether ..."

here's the tail-end of our CF file as an example

device		ace0	at vba? csr 0xff0000 vector acecint acerint
device		ace1	at vba? csr 0xff0100 vector acecint acerint
pseudo-device	pty 32
pseudo-device	sxt 8
pseudo-device	loop 1

\dave

David Osborne, system administrator,  ICL Clan 7/200 (== Power 6/32 tahoe)
Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
Phone: +44 602 484848 x2064
JANET: dao at uk.ac.nott.clan          BITNET: dao%uk.ac.nott.clan at ukacrl.bitnet
ARPA: dao%uk.ac.nott.clan at nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
                    or %ukacrl.bitnet at cunyvm.cuny.edu