SMD-E disk controllers w/ scatter-gather

Jim Lowe james at CSD4.MILW.WISC.EDU
Mon Sep 12 14:01:15 AEST 1988

I have a couple of questions about the tahoe disk controllers.

Does anyone know if the SMD-E disk controllers with scatter/gather can
handle > 1024 cylinders on a disk drive?  I guess what I need to know
is does the controller handle extended cylinder addressing.  If it does,
do you have to hardware strap the controllers for it?  Also, which tag
line does it use for the extra bit.

I am told that the controllers that I have can only handle a 2.4 Meg/sec
transfer rate.  As I understand it the controller can handle the
higher speed (3.0 M/s), but the interface card can't.  Does anyone know
if this is true?  I would like to purchase some of the higher density
(3.0 Meg/sec) drives, but my current controllers won't handle it.

Thanks for you help,

	- Jim

Internet:	james at csd4.milw.wisc.edu	Uucp:	uwmcsd1!james
Phone:		+1 (414) 229-6431