GNU stuff for tahoe

Leonard H. Tower Jr. tower at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Thu Aug 17 10:24:08 AEST 1989

In article <9063 at cs.Buffalo.EDU> bowen at sunybcs.UUCP (Devon E Bowen) writes:
|In article <8908030546.AA01786 at gemini.tau.ac.il> blumzi at math.tau.AC.IL writes:
|>        Is there somebody somewhere who has GNU stuff ported to the
|>tahoe (preferably SysV)?  I'm specialy interested in the gcc, g++, gdb suite.
|
|The BSD files will be issued with gcc 1.36 - they have already been built
|into the FSF source tree. As to when that will be, I don't know. We've been
|beta testing a version that I have been told is very close to 1.36, but that
|is for them to say, not me. Sorry to all those people waiting (I have
|received a lot of mail about this), but since the copyrights are no longer
|owned by me, I cannot release it. If you'd like to do something else to try
|to get the files, I suggest writing to Richard Stallman at rms at ai.mit.edu.

please, Please, PLEASE do NOT send mail to rms, asking when a release
of any GNU software will be done.  It will only slow the release (in
this case, gcc 1.36).  We at the GNU Project do the best we can to get
software done well, quickly.  Mail asking for it (and there is an
incredible amount) just wastes our time and slows things down.
Your patience is a significant contribution to the project.

Note that the project's inquiry address is:
	gnu at prep.ai.mit.edu

|As for the other programs in the suite, we do have gdb and gas in the queue,
|but it keeps getting bumped back due to the work they actually pay us to do.
|We have no plans to do g++.
|
|Devon

Granted ports of gcc, gdb, and gld, porting the g++ system isn't that hard.

enjoy -len