undumping a core image

Doug Tiarks doug at CSD4.CSD.UWM.EDU
Thu Aug 17 03:40:10 AEST 1989

wills ms 01309 writes:
 > "undump" exists which will do such a thing from a core file.  My
 > questions are these:
 >
 > Is there an FTP site where I can find such an animal?
 >
 > Can it reliably resume a process from any core file?
 >
 > How dependent is it on platform type?  I'm using a tahoe running

Undump  is distributed with the Unix version of TeX for making
"preloaded" versions of the tex/metafont programs. I'm not sure
of the exact details of how it works, but it takes a core file
and the original executable and creates a runable program.  I don't
think it can resume execution at the point that the program dumped
core. I believe it just initializes the variables to the values
in the core file.

If you want to take a look at it you can find it in
labrea.stanford.edu:pub/undump.tar.Z

	Doug Tiarks
	UW-Milwaukee Computing Services Div.

	Internet: doug at csd4.csd.uwm.edu (was csd4.milw.wisc.edu)