Query on S/W availability for Tahoe computers

David Osborne cczdao at clan.clan.nott.ac.uk
Wed Jul 5 19:08:31 AEST 1989

In article <569 at vax1.tcd.ie>, Michael Doherty <doherty at vax1.tcd.ie> writes:
>I am interested in the unit ICL call the
>Clan 7 or DRS 500 and wish to know if anyone is using it in
>a University mode to support student and researchers. In particular
>I am interested in what software of academic interest is available.

Michael,

i manage a machine of the very type you were enquiring about.  we had
heard that ICL were suggesting a that Dublin buy a Clan -- is this to
front-end your VME system?

our machine is a Clan 7/200 (identical to CCI's Power6/32), but this
is now replaced as ICL's offering by the "Clan 7/400", which is a more
compact but otherwise similar box.  our system is underconfigured with
8Mb memory and 2 CDC 330Mb disks, 64 async lines, TCP/IP over
ethernet, OSI level 4 over Oslan and, recently, X25.  it runs a System
V.3-ish kernel over a Berkeley fast filesystem and performance seems
adequate for our usual dozen or so users.  we're using ours to offer a
text-processing service based on TeX and LaTeX to staff, postgrads and
undergrads.

mail me direct if you want any more detail or gossip.

[ help!
 i tried to mail this response to the info-tahoe list but it was rejected
 by "Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON at csd1.uwm.edu>" with the Subject:
 "Returned mail: Host unknown" ...
 550 <info-tahoe at csd1.uwm.edu>... Host unknown

 can anyone remind me of the correct address, please? ]

dave
     David Osborne       |   JANET: d.osborne at uk.ac.nott.clan
 Cripps Computing Centre |  BITNET: d.osborne%uk.ac.nott.clan at ukacrl.bitnet
University of Nottingham |Internet: d.osborne%uk.ac.nott.clan at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
 Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK  |  (Phone: +44 602 484848 x2064)
David Osborne