BSD tcp: multiple acks (with fix)

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Thu Aug 23 04:11:24 AEST 1990

>Am I missing smething here, or is "comp.sys.tahoe" really not just about
>CCI (ICL[Fuji?]), Harris, Unisys hardware boxes? I would assume from the
>traffic that most people use this news group as a default for the 4.3BSD-Tahoe
>software release, and not for the "tahoe" hardware platform.

It was *intended* to be about those boxes, but some people are, I guess,
confused by the name, and think it's for 4.3-tahoe.

4.3-tahoe bugs should be posted, like any other 4BSD bugs, to
"comp.bugs.4bsd", so that even people who know that "comp.sys.tahoe" is
for Tahoe machines, and don't care about them and therefore don't read
that group, can find out about them.

(If you don't get netnews, I don't know if there's a mailing list behind
"comp.bugs.4bsd" or not.)

>Since the CCI 6/32, Unisys 7000/xx, Harris, etc. is a dead (or should I say
>out of date) product, maby this news group should be moved out of com.sys
>and placed into comp.os.tahoe ?

No, there's nothing about 4.3-tahoe that makes it deserve a "comp.os"
newsgroup of its own.  It's a UNIX version, so general discussion
belongs in "comp.unix.*"; it's a 4BSD version, so bug reports belong in
"comp.bugs.4bsd".

The fact that the hardware is out-of-date doesn't necessarily mean the
group should be moved, either; after all, "comp.sys.ridge" is still
around....

>BTW - tahoe (the hardware) originated @ CCI (named boxes after lakes).

Except for the 5/32, which was named after a pond. :-)