Error on "root device?"

Kenneth H. Jacker khj at uncecs.edu
Wed Mar 7 00:06:39 AEST 1990

Hardware:	VAX-11/750;  RA80 & RA81

We've just finished the published tahoe installation procedure using
our current 4.3BSD system as a base.  We placed all of the tahoe system
in the last partition of the RA81 (ra1h).  The new (GENERIC) kernel was
booted using,

	: ra(0,3)vmunix

after I swapped the "drive buttons" so that the RA81 was drive #0, and
the RA80 became drive #1.

Autoconfig spotted most of our devices including the uda50, ra0 and our
DELUA.  The kernel then asked for the "root device", and here's where a
problem arose.  I tried "ra0*", "ra00*", and even "ra0", but each gave
the same error message:

	use hp%d, up%d, ra%d, rb%d, rl%d, hk%d or kra%d.

I never had this problem on 4.3 kernels, so am wondering if something is
different with tahoe.  Any ideas will be most appreciated!

Kenneth H. Jacker               Domain:   khj at ecsvax.uncecs.edu
Dept of Math Sciences           BITNET:   khj at ecsvax
Appalachian State Univ
Boone, NC  28608