[COFF] [TUHS] Re: the wheel of reincarnation goes sideways

Grant Taylor via COFF coff at tuhs.org
Wed Aug 2 02:27:57 AEST 2023

On 8/1/23 10:55 AM, Dan Cross wrote:
> Interesting. I don't really get the point of the Gopher revival, to be
> honest;

Retro? Reminiscence?

> sure, I get that people want non-graphical, non-ad-laden content,
> but it sure seems like you could get something like that with the
> web just using a text-mode browser like `lynx` or even `links` and
> something like `gomarkdown`.

Presumably people are creating new content to use in the newer Gopher
sphere, etc.

So if people are creating new content, why can't they create the same
content in simple no-add HTML.

> It's like the people who want to use Fidonet as an "alternative"
> to email. I mean, one can use the same protocols in parallel with
> the mainstream services.

I was pawing at FidoNet (or other FTNs) as an alternative to SMTP
specifically because it was not SMTP.

Not that anything's wrong with SMTP to prevent it's use.  My interest is
in the form of avoiding a single protocol failure.

Grant. . . .