[COFF] Typical Fate of Older Hardware

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Wed Aug 2 07:14:12 AEST 2023

[resorting]

Wesley Parish wrote in
 <76501721-ab55-0c86-090a-dd06d53dc582 at gmail.com>:
 |On 31/07/23 08:33, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> Grant Taylor via COFF wrote in
 |>   <5ec59010-d848-8adc-9872-7a4e6fb599eb at tnetconsulting.net>:
 |>|
 |>|My experience disposing of things is from the late '90s and early '00s
 |>|and is for much smaller things.  So it may very well differ.
 |>
 |> Around 1990(+ a bit) i worked during holiday for a company which
 |> collected old computers, monitors etc from authorities and, well,
 |> other companies.  Myriads of (plastic) keyboards, cables, etc., it
 |> all was thrown into containers (ie rolled down the floor, then
 |> blindly thrown), all mixed up.
 |I've also done a fair amount of work breaking up and down old PCs and
 |Macintoshes, in the early 2000s.
 |
 |The business owner talked about getting a furnace built to render down
 |the old CRTs, but it hadn't happened by the time I left that company,
 |and I doubt it had happened by the time of the Chirstchurch earthquakes
 |2010-2011. I do know we sent the metal cases off to the local metal
 |recyclers. But what happened to the boards, I have no idea.

Yaaaaah, you know, as a native German of age by that time
i remember myriads of toxic waste affairs where that shit was
shipped to .. sheer "everywhere" (except first and second world,
of course).  So this was the tip of an iceberg the contours of
which were known from many years of newspapers, magazines, good
political TV documentations etc, yet the dullness of reality
overwhelmed me.  And, uh, oh, i acted conforming(ly) (very fast).

--steffen