[COFF] [TUHS] Re: the wheel of reincarnation goes sideways

Grant Taylor via COFF coff at tuhs.org
Fri Jul 7 02:53:35 AEST 2023

On 7/5/23 11:18 PM, Robert Stanford via COFF wrote:
> I still have to occasionally manage a multi user SCO system with a bunch
> of dusty VT320's scattered through an old building, the original
> hardware is lost in space and it is now virtualised. There is even a
> couple of serial line printers.

I administer a handful of physical Sun / Oracle boxen running Solaris at
$DAY_JOB, each with a handful of local zones thereon.  The local zones
have multiple people logging and running an application.

But these users aren't Unix users per-se.  Rather they are running a
singular line of business application (or very closely related /
associated applications).  This is vastly different than what I consider
to be a shell box, wherein people do all sort of things on the system:

  - email
  - web
  - document processing
  - programming
  - etc

It's the multiple users doing different things on a common box that
seems so rare to me in 2023.

Grant. . . .