[COFF] Weedhopper? (was: crt0 -- what's in that name?)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Tue Jun 13 09:57:08 AEST 2023

On Monday, 12 June 2023 at 18:39:32 -0400, Clem Cole wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2023 at 5:39 PM G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's an ill wind that blows a Fortran runtime using the same convention.
>
> Be careful there, weedhopper ...

Now there's a word I have never heard before.  Neither have my
dictionaries, and Google gets sidetracked.  What's the meaning and the
background?

On the other hand, I have heard of BSS and BES.  It was in the DDP-516
(basis for the IMP) assembler.  Is that how it found its way into
Unix?

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.