[COFF] Of PL/I

Charles H Sauer (he/him) sauer at technologists.com
Mon Apr 8 09:25:37 AEST 2024

On 4/7/2024 6:10 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Apr 2024, Charles H Sauer (he/him) wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I wrote a Fortran to PL/I crude translator in SNOBOL [...]
>
> Gadzooks...  For our "write a simple compiler" assignment I threatened to
> use SNOBOL, but my lecturer (Ken Robinson) threatened to fail me :-)
>
> -- Dave

SNOBOL fascinated me as soon as I learned in first languages survey
course (also covered LISP, ALGOL, others) in 1971.

In the mid 1980s, when we (IBM AIX people) wanted to move our PL.8 code
to C, I created a PL.8 to C translator in Griswold's Icon successor to
SNOBOL, then an ISC colleague took it over and enhanced it so that I
could focus on my other responsibilities. I'm told the enhanced version
was used quite a bit, but I don't really know.

Charlie

voice: +1.512.784.7526       e-mail: sauer at technologists.com
fax: +1.512.346.5240         Web: https://technologists.com/sauer/
Facebook/Google/LinkedIn/Twitter: CharlesHSauer