[COFF] [ih] Fwd: Some Berkeley Unix history - too many PHDs per packet

William H. Mitchell whm at msweng.com
Mon Mar 11 04:02:44 AEST 2024

At the U of Arizona, university lawyers would staple a page on the BSD contract that, among other onerous things, required UCB to indemnify UA for all harms related to usage of the software.  A no-go, of course.  Dr. Pete Downey discovered that we could run licenses through Kitt Peak National Observatory, with offices on the UA campus. The KPNO lawyer had the mindset of helping researchers do research, and our licensing problems were solved. :)

--whm