[COFF] (redirected from TUHS) What do you currently use for your primary OS at home?

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo via COFF coff at tuhs.org
Thu Mar 14 23:39:57 AEST 2024

Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com> writes:

> I'm surprised how few of the responders use BSD.

I started out with MINIX 1 on a 286-based PC.  Ported various software
to it, including UUCP, so I had email and could be on mailing lists.

Moved to 386bsd when that came out, joining the Internet community
around it.  Stuck with it as it became NetBSD, and have run NetBSD on my
primary systems ever since.

I enjoyed playing with kernel code on MINIX and early NetBSD, but modern
kernels are much too complicated for me, so I get those urges satisfied
on MINIX 3, 2.11BSD, and 6th Edition UNIX, all on proper hardware.  :)

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay