PUPS/TUHS should not be divisive

Michael Sokolov msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Tue Jun 20 00:25:44 AEST 2000

Markus Leypold <leypold at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> Why can't we just stay on big family ? Of course FreeBSD has it's
> archives elsewhere, but still no reason to divide instead of unite ?

According to Warren's Charter, PUPS and TUHS are both specifically for UNIX.
His Charter defines UNIX as follows:

"Unix is defined as the set of operating systems who can trace their source
code ancestry back to the 1st to 7th Editions of research UNIX from Bell Labs."

Any system that fits this definition automatically falls under the original
UNIX copyright and may not be distributed outside the circle of UNIX source
licensees. Therefore, if you think that FreeBSD fits this definition and
belongs in this group, you must stop publicly distributing it. Otherwise, it
does not belong in the archive or on these lists.

--
Michael Sokolov		Harhan Engineering Laboratory
Public Service Agent	International Free Computing Task Force

Phone: +1-214-824-7693 (Harhan Eng Lab office)
E-mail: msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG (ARPA TCP/SMTP) (UUCP coming soon)

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id AAA05755
	for pups-liszt; Tue, 20 Jun 2000 00:30:18 +1000 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)