[pups] Making a TK50 2.11BSD boot tape for an 11/73

emanuel stiebler emu at ecubics.com
Fri Jan 17 04:24:25 AEST 2003

David Evans wrote:
 >   Howdy.
 >
 >   I'd like to confirm that somebody has successfully made a TK50 boot
tape
 > for 2.11BSD using a TK50Z attached to some other Unix box.

Yes. Did it to a TK50Z & TZ30 many times. Slow, but works ...

 > In my case it will
 > likely have to be Linux, though IRIX might be doable.  It *should*
work, after
 > all, but, well, you know.  :)

What version is your "linux" ? There were problems in earlier version
(redhat before 7.x ?) exactly with the block command on tapes, and
that's what bites you :(

Just make sure your tape drive is clean, check if you get any errors
during writing the tape.

And don't use any scripts, just compile the maketape.c, it worked for me
many times.

cheers