[TUHS] Mention TUHS in Linux Magazine (US)?

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Sat Apr 30 17:31:52 AEST 2005

And, FWIW, in one of the few GNUs Bulletins I actually have received, courtesy
of the FSF, RMS (I think) was advising that with the dropping price in
memory, GNU hackers could do without worrying about memory size, when it came
to replicating Unix utilities..

So perhaps that is a point to be taken into consideration?  I know in some
respects FreeBSD - the only *BSD I've ever gotten around to installing -
comes across as smaller and faster than Linux.  I hate to think of SysVRx -
everything I have read about that series of OSes said it was bloated, and the
SCO SysVR3 I learnt Unix on felt somewhat clumsier than Linux when I first
got it.  But that's the result of Bash being nicer than sh to a 4DOS user.

Hope this is useful.

Wesley Parish

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 05:59, Carl Lowenstein wrote:
> > From: Jerry Peek <jpeek at jpeek.com>
> > To: tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org
> > Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:50:21 -0700
> > Subject: [TUHS] Mention TUHS in Linux Magazine (US)?
> > Hi everyone.  I'm a short-time UNIX user (I started in 1981 :)
> > and also a columnist for Linux Magazine (in the US: not the UK
> > flavour).  I just came across TUHS while I was searching for a
> > V7 cp(1) manpage.  (I found it, BTW, via Warren Toomey's page
> > http://mirror.cc.vt.edu/pub/projects/Ancient_Unix/Documentation/PUPS/manp
> >ages.html.)
> >
> > I'm writing a series of columns on "What's GNU in Old Utilities".
> > It describes new features of GNU utilities like cat(1) and
> > contrasts them to "how we used to do it."  I'd like to mention
> > TUHS in the third column, which should be out in August.  It
> > seems that TUHS is alive and well.  If any of you have comments
> > or complaints about that idea, though, would you please let me
> > know before May 1 -- which is when the column is due?  Thanks.
>
> More power to you.  Just keep a sharp eye out for things that
> are touted as "new improved GNU features" that have been around
> since the days of 6th Edition or 7th Edition Unix.
>
>     carl

-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?