[TUHS] Need a new PDP-11 or VAX?

Nick Downing downing.nick+tuhs at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 13:38:47 AEST 2013

I think the 68K came fairly close to what you guys are asking for, with its
addressing modes like (a0)+ and so on. it's only 32 bit but that's better
than 16 bit :) the problem I have with 68K is that while the assembly
language is basically orthogonal the machine code is not, there are too
many exceptions in the encoding, which I think was done to save precious
code space. (Kind of like ARM Thumb code -- and by the way you may find ARM
more PDP11-like than the other archs you mentioned). Anyway, some of the
latest 68K such as Dragonball(?) have gone some way towards correcting this
deficiency by not implementing many of the more irregular insns.
cheers, Nick