[TUHS] early cc variable and function names

Milo Velimirović milov at cs.uwlax.edu
Sat Oct 18 00:22:00 AEST 2014

On Oct 17, 2014, at 9:07 AM, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:

> Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
>>> For VAX, 4BSD appears to use an "index into file string table", whereas
>>> 3BSD still has an 8-character string. I don't see any provision in the
>>> 4BSD linker for loading 3BSD binaries.
>
> I think System III or System V picked this up.
>
>>> Filenames over 14 characters appear to have been introduced in 4.1BSD.
>
> No, at 4.2 BSD with the Fast Filesystem.  (Maybe 4.1c or some such
> already had the FFS, but the original 4.1 didn't...)
>
> Arnold
Right!
McKusick, et al. say that it came with the Fast Filesystem in 4.2 [1]

I recall a presentation at UW in Madison where he said, (paraphrasing from memory) We heard you guys. We included long file names in the Fast File System. (loud cheers)

 - Milo
[1] https://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~brewer/cs262/FFS.pdf