[TUHS] Non-US Unix Activities

Richard Tobin richard at inf.ed.ac.uk
Sat Apr 8 09:31:08 AEST 2017

> While going through papers recently we found what was I am reasonably
> sure the quote for the first Sun sold in Scotland which might be of some
> interest (inevitably I now don't know where it is, although we did not
> throw it away).  We're not sure whether it is for that machine, but we
> are sure that my wife (who isn't on the list) ran it (a 2/120 we think).
>  It started out with SunOS 1 (or perhaps before).

In 1984 the Programming Systems Groups in Edinburgh's AI department
was contracted by SERC to evaluate workstations for its "Common Base"
program.  We had a Sun 2/120, a Whitechapel MG-1, an Apollo Domain
system, and I think we already had at least one PNX Perq.

We recommended Suns.  I can't find the report we wrote anywhere
online, but I'm fairly sure I've seen it in the last couple of years.

Presumably we gave the evaluation 2/120 back to Sun and bought the one
mentioned by Tim (it was called "islay" unless I have become confused)
a bit later, in 1985.

-- Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.