[TUHS] Reorganising the Unix Archive?

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Tue Feb 21 04:06:28 AEST 2017

William Corcoran <wlc at jctaylor.com> wrote:

> But, is there somewhere a main distribution for Research 7, v7m 2.1, or BSD 2.11 that has all of the original SCCS deltas (leaf and non-leaf)?
>
> This would be extremely revealing. If we could view the SCCS comments (sccs prs) and the underlying code, it would be incredibly valuable.
>
> Please forgive me if this has been asked a million times.  I just can't find it.  Once SCCS was heavily used, was there a codebase that housed all of these distributions?

If you have access to the CSRG UNIX archives, you could fetch the latest SCCS
sources from within the schily-tools:

	http://sourceforge.net/projects/schilytools/files/

compile it by just calling "make" and then:

cd CSRG_Archive_4
sccs -R log > /tmp/file

This gives you better readable results and it has the advantage that you get
a listing that span the whole tree and combine daltas that happened within
24 hours and used the same delta message.

Here is a small part as an example:

Thu May  8 10:29:39 1980 bill
        * ./sys/kern/init_main.c 3.4
        * ./sys/vax/uba/vp.c 3.2
        * ./sys/vax/uba/va.c 3.2
        * ./sys/kern/kern_proc.c 3.3
        * ./sys/kern/kern_synch.c 3.7
        * ./sys/kern/tty_subr.c 3.2
        * ./sys/vax/vax/machdep.c 3.4
        * ./sys/vax/mba/ht.c 3.2
        * ./sys/vax/mba/hp.c 3.3
        * ./sys/vax/vax/flp.c 3.2
        * ./sys/kern/kern_clock.c 3.5
        * ./sys/kern/kern_physio.c 3.4
        * ./sys/kern/vfs_cluster.c 3.4
        * ./sys/kern/vfs_bio.c 3.4
          VOID=>void

Thu May  8 10:15:38 1980 bill
        * ./sys/sys/conf.h 3.2
          addition for netldis

Thu May  8 10:14:51 1980 bill
        * ./sys/sys/tty.h 3.2
          added BNETLDIS

Thu May  8 10:13:56 1980 bill
        * ./sys/kern/tty.c 3.2
          modified to support TIOCSETD reasonably

The code at: CSRG_Archive_4 contains 108604 deltas in total.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin