[TUHS] Emacs and undump

Ronald Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Tue Feb 28 21:55:19 AEST 2017

> On Feb 27, 2017, at 9:04 AM, Arthur Krewat <krewat at kilonet.net> wrote:
>
> In TOPS-10, you could detach from your current job, login again, and keep going. Then, attach to the previous job, and go back and forth endlessly.

ITS had this feature as well.

I actually implemented this for UNIX in a crude way.    I put a program as my login shell that spawned off a shell on a PTY and the program did sort of a lightweight “telnet” between the PTY and my login terminal.
I could then make the intermediary program go away (effectively logging out of the system) while leaving the shell running on the PTY.    The subsequent login, the program would notice I still had my previous session running and offer to reconnect it for me.