[TUHS] SCO OpenDesktop 386 2.0.0

Josh Good pepe at naleco.com
Fri Mar 3 09:24:07 AEST 2017

On 2017 Mar  2, 11:56, Corey Lindsly wrote:

> > I got it to install successfully, in VMware Server 1.0.2.
> >
> > The solution is to boot normally with the "id.dd" floppy image provided
> > by Corey Lindsly, with the ISO image also provided by Corey configured
> > as IDE 0:1 (first channel, slave), and with a virtual IDE disk (I'm
> > using 8 GB of size) as 0:0 (first channel, master).
> >
> > This setup leads to the already known IDE driver hanging. It's a
> > problem with the IDE driver provided by SCO with UnixWare 2.1. So,
> > when the install process asks whether you want to use a "HBA diskette",
> > load into your PC emulator's virtual floppy drive the updated "HBA
> > diskette" image provided by SCO for UnixWare 2.1.3, which is here:
> > ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/UW21/upd213/hba213.img
> >
> > This will stop the UnixWare 2.1 IDE driver from hanging, and the
> > install process will proceed successfully to completion.
> >
> > It should work equally well in VirtualBox.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Josh Good
> >

> Good stuff. Thanks. I was able to do the install in ESXi 5 with no
> problems using this information. Has anyone gotten the networking setup?
> There is an Intel PRO/1000 NIC driver package on the SCO site (ptf4016c)
> but it is for UW2.1.3 only and I was not able to get it to go. Sadly, the
> original 2.1 package ptf4016a appears to be gone. I suppose the next step
> would be to run through the updates from 2.1 to 2.1.3 unless someone else
> can share a simpler way to bring up a NIC.

I have networking up and running in UnixWare 2.1, on VMware Server 1.0.

VMware Server 1.0 virtualizes the "AMD PCNet" PCI ethernet card, and
UnixWare 2.1 has built-in drivers for it.

Can the virtualization software you are using offer an emulated "AMD
PCNet" PCI ethernet card to the virtual machine where you are running
UnixWare 2.1?

I attach these screenshots for your reference:

https://s29.postimg.org/rlnbqb687/screenshot_01_network_driver.png
https://s29.postimg.org/cw2hlt3yf/screenshot_02_network_driver.png
https://s29.postimg.org/3pk6yiypz/screenshot_03_network_driver.png
https://s29.postimg.org/qfjbrihxj/screenshot_04_booting.png
https://s29.postimg.org/li5r6efyf/screenshot_05_booting.png
https://s29.postimg.org/z0cnios3r/screenshot_06_X11.png
https://s29.postimg.org/g1n3c0mkn/screenshot_07_login.png

And now, it would be nice to have SSHd running. According to this post,
it's doable:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.security.ssh/da7A-ma74zs

Does anyone volunteer to compile a package for SSHd in UnixWare 2.1,
and share it?

Regards,

--
Josh Good