[TUHS] Source code abundance?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Mar 4 06:06:12 AEST 2017

    > From: Warner Losh

    > On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 12:49 PM, Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> wrote:

    >>> My understanding is that System V source of any sort is not legal to
    >>> distribute.

    >> surely there are big chunks of the opensolaris code that are not *very
    >> much* changed from the original System V code they're based on. Under
    >> what theory, then, was Sun the copyright holder and therefore able to
    >> release it under the CDDL?

    > Their paid-up perpetual license that granted them the right to do that?

I wonder, if they do indeed have such a license, if they have the rights to
distribute original SysV source under the CDDL? Or does that license only
apply to SysV code that they have modified? And if so, _how much_ does it have
to be modified, to qualify?

Maybe we can get them to distribute SysV under the CDDL... :-)

      Noel