[TUHS] The evolution of Unix facilities and architecture

Ron Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Fri May 12 08:30:07 AEST 2017

I got a phone call one day from one of the operators that "fsck was stuck in
a loop."    I thought maybe it was wedged or it was just printing out
continuously.
I got there and find that Fsck had repaired the root partition and rebooted
the machine and then come up and decided the root needed fixing again and
then rebooted...
The operator didn't mention that the "fsck loop" involved a reboot every
time through.

The other one I got was that "fsck has been printing for an hour."   After
getting them to read me one of the errors I suggested they scroll back the
printout and find the first message.
RP01 OFFLINE.

Now, go over to the disk drive and look in the glass top and tell me...is it
spinning?   No?

Now put the run/stop switch to stop.   Now put it to Run.     Now reboot the
machine and DON'T LEAN ON THE FRONT OF THE DRIVE AGAIN.
(This one RP06 if you leaned on the lid it would spin down the disk).