[TUHS] cryptic cc error on v7

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 14:50:10 AEST 2017

On 11/8/17 10:44 PM, Will Senn wrote:
> I found head on 3BSD and thought it might be as simple to compile as
> cr3, unfortunately, it isn't. I did:
>
> $ cc head.c
> head.o?
>
> $ cc -c head.c
> head.o?
>
> $ pcc head.c
> head.c
> head.o?
>
> I thought the assembler, as, was cryptic, at least there you get a one
> character error response. What is cc trying to say? Obviously head.o
> won't exist unless cc succeeds...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will

Cryptic indeed. Actually, it makes some sense. I was logged in as dmr
and trying to compile the code in a directory where I didn't have
permissions (apparently I ran tar xv0 as root). So, it seems like the
compiler succeeded in compiling the code, but wasn't able to create the
output. I switched to root and was able to get head working.

Thanks,

Will

--
GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF