[TUHS] Happy birthday, Internet!

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Apr 10 00:52:32 AEST 2018

    > From: Steve Nickolas

    > I thought the epoch of the Internet was January 1, 1983.

Turning off NCP was a significant step, but not that big a deal in terms of
its actual effects, really.

For those of us already on the Internet before that date (since as the number
of ARPANet ports was severely limited, for many non-ARPANet-connected machines
- which were almost all time-sharing systems, at that point in time, so lots
of actual users - there was a lot of value in an Internet connection, so there
were quite a few), it didn't produce any significant change - the universe of
machines we could talk to didn't change (since we could only talk to
ARPANet-connected machines with TCP), etc.

And for ARPANET-connected machines, there too, things didn't change much - the
services available (remote login, email, etc) remained the same - it was just
carried over TCP, not NCP.

I guess in some sense it marked 'coming of age' for TCP/IP, but I'd analogize
it to that, rather than a 'birth' date.

	Noel