[TUHS] Happy birthday, Ken Thompson!

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sun Feb 4 10:52:41 AEST 2018

On Sat, 3 Feb 2018, Andy Kosela wrote:

> I always admired Ken's passion for minimalism and elegant, simple
> solutions to IT problems.  Ed(1) will always be the most beautiful
> editor ever written.

And the one editor that every sysadmin should know.  I still use "expr" in
my shell scripts, for example, because I don't know how portable the
Penguin "${...}" construct is.

[...]

> Linux and FreeBSD are now two monstrous trolls, bloated and extremely
> complex and large.

Looking through /usr/include/***.h, I see:

FreeBSD 10.4:	#define SYS_MAXSYSCALL  548
MacOS Sierra:	#define SYS_MAXSYSCALL  522
Debian 8.10:	I don't know where the Penguins have hidden it...

> I am glad Rob and Ken gave us Go.  It breathed a new life into the
> complex world of writing software.

That's the second endorsement I've seen for Go; I guess I should learn it.

And yes, I've read the amusing story on Wikipedia :-)  I'm becoming
annoyed at Perl's bloatedness (I'd hate to see Perl 6), don't like
Python's silly indentation (although some swear by it), and looking at
Ruby for stuff where I used to use Perl.