[TUHS] Device special files

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 02:34:21 AEST 2018

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 11:24 AM, Arthur Krewat <krewat at kilonet.net> wrote:

> medusa# mount | egrep '^/dev'
> /devices on /devices read/write/setuid/devices/rstchown/dev=9640000 on
> Fri Jan 19 16:33:07 2018
> /dev on /dev read/write/setuid/devices/rstchown/dev=9680000 on Fri Jan 19
> 16:33:07 2018
> /dev/fd on fd read/write/setuid/devices/rstchown/dev=9940001 on Fri Jan
> medusa# ls -l /dev/rdsk/c1t*d0
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          65 Jan  2  2015 /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0 ->
> ../../devices/pci at 0,0/pci8086,340b at 4/pci1028,1f10 at 0/sd at 0,0:wd,raw
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          65 Jan  2  2015 /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0 ->
> ../../devices/pci at 0,0/pci8086,340b at 4/pci1028,1f10 at 0/sd at 1,0:wd,raw
> medusa# uname -a
> SunOS medusa 5.11 11.3 i86pc i386 i86pc

Some more commentary would be useful here, but yeah: Solaris went pretty
crazy with the cheez-whiz on this stuff. /devices was the "this is what we
found from autoconfiguration at boot time" thingy, and /dev was the "and
here are a bunch of symlinks to those things." I don't really remember why
they chose to do it that way.... Linux and BSD's devfs (as in 4.4 and its
descendants) was rather simpler (pretty much what I described until udev
came around and elaborated on the theme).

        - Dan C.