[TUHS] Do Interface specifications such POSIX or the LSB Still Matter

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Feb 17 01:45:16 AEST 2018

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 10:19:37AM -0500, Clem Cole wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 5:45 PM, David Arnold <davida at pobox.com> wrote:
> > is there really still a market for commercially-licensed installable
> > software packages?  The set of things that cannot be delivered via the web,
> > and are not available as Free/Open Source is ever-shrinking.
>
> ???I agree with the later, but for the folks that have traditionally made a
> market in the former (think commercial HPC - geo science, mech-e cad,
> financial, chemistry, etc..) - they have codes [often in Fortran] and years
> and year of data that those codes have been used to create an validate.
>
> Ever-shrinking is right, but those folks have very valuable (billions of
> dollars) invested in that data and their businesses behind them.   The code
> they use is proprietary and closed.
>
> As I said in another message, the test matrix for the folks that develop
> that code got unwieldy.

Meh, not really.  Until Git ate our market, we supported everything you
might imagine.  Windows, MacOS, Linux-{x86,x86_64,sparc,ppc,itanium,mips},
AIX, IRIX, HP-UX, Solaris.

Source base of 2.6 million lines of code and docs.

The coding part that was bad was Windows vs Posix, that was painful (no
fork on Windows, had to map windows error codes to errnos, link, stat,
utime, sockets, all had to be emulated, file names mapped from unix to
windows and back again, etc, etc).

The rest of it was pretty easy.  We limited our stuff to very basic
stuff, we shipped our own stdio (based on NetBSD's) because we stacked
stuff on top of it

	/*
	 * Open a stdio handle to file that is gzipped
	 * After the fpush you can fread/gets/fseek/whatever.
	 */
	FILE *f = fopen(file, "r");
	fpush(&f, fopen_zip(f->fh, "r"));

For a long time I was careful about what we used in libc, I'd been burned
by realloc() implementations that didn't work.  In the last 5 years or so
I loosened up about that, the bugs were always in the odd ball Unixes and
they had gone away.

I think it gets harder the more "fancy" you get.  If you are doing
commandline/compute stuff it's pretty easy.

Want GUI stuff that is cross platform?  That's a mess, we went with
Tcl/Tk (which will drive the pure lisp people even more crazy, sorry;
we "solved" that problem with a byte code compiler that took a C like
dialect and spit out tcl byte codes).  Probably would do Qt or something
else today (didn't want to have C++ in the tool chain 20+ years ago).

Want video?  Oh, my.

Want sound?  Oh, my.

I don't see any standard trying to fix that cross platform, windows and
Linux are too different.  Though maybe the Linux on windows stuff solves
that?  I dunno.

> Containers is the only alternative I have seen so far that might solve
> this, but .... that same folks don't like no stinking OS between their app
> and the HW, so using virtualization technology to solve a problem is
> usually a no-no.

Netflix does a lot in AWS.  And they care about performance.  But they
code around the variance that you get from containers, I could see that
as an issue for the old school fortran people.

I'm sort of struggling to see what problem it is you want to solve.