[TUHS] RIP John Backus

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Tue Mar 20 05:40:03 AEST 2018

On 3/19/2018 2:40 PM, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo via TUHS wrote:

> VAX C was still pretty awful in the late 90s, while their FORTRAN was
> really excellent, not least because of the high quality optimizer.

I had a chance to try compiling a heavily-pthread'd queuing system I
wrote, using VAX C on VMS 6.0+, actually running it on a VAXSTATION-3200.

I originally developed it on Sun Solaris, but with minimal compatibility
issues, also ran on HP/UX, Linux, FreeBSD, etc.

It compiled on the VAX cleanly, needed some FIONBIO ioctl's (like
FreeBSD) and ran suprisingly well for what it was. A 10Mbps NIC could
only get so much data forced through it.

It could handle a few thousand threads before it became unusable, IIRC.

Good times.

ak