[TUHS] Anyone have any luck trying to contact Micro Focus regarding Unix licensing?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Oct 20 07:25:16 AEST 2018

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 10:57 AM <jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com> wrote:

> I know after the whole SCO personal licenses and then Ransom Loves’s
> making 32v and all prior open was great but apparently it wasn’t his to
> give away.  Or am I wrong?

Sigh ...  Yes...   Where did you hear this?   On second thought, I really I
don't want to know...  Whomever is spreading that information is tad
uninformed and really does understand what happened.

Simply put, the AT&T case made it clear, *the technology has been published*.
 The issue is closed.  It is 'open' - free - 'libre.'  It's all public
information and has been and was required to be by the US Courts in the
AT&T / USL vs UCB/BSDi law suit.   It's really not an interesting argument
at this point. The US courts made is clear, * AT&T was required to make the
barn doors open, and horses left the barn.*

This is why >>Novell<< released the implementation (i.e. source code) and*
it was Novell's to make available - which again the US courts have already
determined. *

All of this has been discussed here and elsewhere and really does not need
to be rehashed (please). *  In fact, *I wrote and published a very long
paper about how UNIX can to be.   The presentation of same can be seen and
the paper downloaded:
http://technique-societe.cnam.fr/colloque-international-unix-en-france-et-aux-etats-unis-innovation-diffusion-et-appropriation--945215.kjsp

Clem

ᐧ