[TUHS] Public access multics

jcs lists at irreal.org
Sun Sep 2 07:27:19 AEST 2018

Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> writes:

> So, it looks like someone has gone and started running a multics
> instance:
>
> http://lists.nycbug.org/pipermail/semibug/2018-August/000288.html
>
> That’s interesting, and y’all may even have been aware of it.
> But, I was thinking that Multics was a failed predecessor of
> unix and it’s craziness an inspiration for how unix isn’t
> multics... straighten me out :)

Failed only in the sense that the Labs withdrew from the project.
Honeywell, which bought out GE's computer division, sold Multics
systems, although I don't remember them being very successful.

The real mystery is what it's running on. Multics originally ran
on the GE/H 600(0) systems. I doubt any are still around. It's
probably a simulator but I've never heard of one for the H6000.