[TUHS] Blit source

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Thu Dec 19 19:09:52 AEST 2019

> If 5620s were called Jerqs, it was an accident. All the software with that
> name would be for the original, Locanthi-built and -designed 68K machines.
>
> The sequence is thus Jerq, Blit, DMD-5620

Maybe the “Jerq” name had a revival. If the processor switch came with some upheaval it is not hard to see how that revival could have happened.

The Dan Cross tar archive with the source code has two top level directories, one named “blit" with the 68K based source and another one named “jerq" with the Bellmac based source. The tar archive seems to have been made in the summer of 1985, or at least those dates are on the top level directories.

I am of course not disputing that the original name was Jerq. There are many clues in the source supporting that, among which this funny comment in mcc.c:

int	jflag, mflag=1;	/* Used for jerq. Rob Pike (read comment as you will) */