[TUHS] Old 386 Unix Versions, was: Re: PCC for the i386

Arrigo Triulzi arrigo at alchemistowl.org
Wed Jul 17 23:38:48 AEST 2019

On 17 Jul 2019, at 14:50, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Am 17.07.2019 um 14:32 schrieb Ben Greenfield via TUHS <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org>:
>> On Jul 17, 2019, at 5:28 AM, Arrigo Triulzi <arrigo at alchemistowl.org> wrote:
>>> Does anyone have documentation or history for European efforts in the Unix-like operating systems? For example there was Bull’s Chorus which I seem to recall was based on Mach or a competing microkernel (it was a very long time ago and I used it for no mare than about two hours..).
>>
>> I know that it didn’t run Unix but I believe Nixdorf Computer was the large computer company at that time.
>
> There was also Sinix from Siemens that was derived from Reliant Unix:
>  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SINIX
>  https://web.archive.org/web/20120324121229/http://maben.homeip.net/static/S100/siemens/rmunix
>
> Unfortunately I didn’t have had much exposure to it and don’t own any install media or such :-/

Yes, indeed there were many, in Germany, France, Spain, Italy, etc. but, unlike the USA, there is nobody apparently trying to keep it all together.

Is the Deutsche Museum in Munich doing something about German IT history like the Computer History Museum in California?

In the UK there’s the Historical Computing group within the BCS who publish a frequent newsletter with their work, they have exhibits at Bletchley Park and they took it upon them to write the histories of the Lyons, ICL, AMT, Inmos, etc.

I was recently trying to find something about Olivetti’s Unix: Olivetti re-branded the AT&T 3B2 and AT&T re-branded their beautiful M24 on which I briefly used Xenix for the 8086 (I *think* it was branded Xenix) but it was just a US UNIX version which spoke English.

Arrigo