[TUHS] Unix, IBM, 370

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Nov 2 02:40:58 AEST 2019

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 6:52 AM Tom Lyon <pugs at ieee.org> wrote:

> The Bell Labs 370 port was different, it was based on running inside of
> TSS/370, which was an IBM OS which hardly anyone besides Bells's ESS group
> used.

It's funny, I did not learn of it until after CMU discommomission that
IBM/TSS system which I broke in on.

> Clem can tell us all about the IBM/Locus port to the 370.

Yeah it was called and would be a product Locus did for IBM (AIX/370)
primarily for the University market.   It's what the Locus (TCF) book
describes.

> And maybe there was another IBM port??

I'm not sure what Amdahl had originally.  I had always thought it was based
on your original from Princeton.

> Much later, Sun ported Solaris to the Hitachi HDS 370 clones (for
> Hitachi), and then to Amdahl clones for Amdahl/Fujitsu.

I heard that had been done, but never knew how well it worked.