[TUHS] Supercomputer UNIX (was Aha moments).

Ronald Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Tue Oct 15 10:33:46 AEST 2019

One project I did get to try was to see if I could vectorize the UNIX crypt routine.     There was a common joke at the time that if a hacker had a Cray, he might be able to derive a lot of passwords.   Since my job a the time had officially computer security in it, I got to try.   It wasn’t as much fun as converting the SGI flight simulator to use TCP/IP so that when 6PM rolled around every day all the SGI’s at the lab went into a massive dog fight.    I remember being collared at an IETC meeting at NASA Ames and being forced to give them the mods.    I figured I killed productivity at NASA for quite a bit with that move.