[TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership

Greg A. Woods woods at robohack.ca
Thu Apr 9 08:16:20 AEST 2020

At Tue, 7 Apr 2020 11:42:51 +0100, Derek Fawcus <dfawcus+lists-tuhs at employees.org> wrote:
Subject: Re: [TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership

> On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 07:57:55PM -0400, Ronald Natalie wrote:
> >
> > The manuals aren’t really a book (and again, they weren’t really published as a book)
>
> A bit later on but...
>
> I'm prettry sure I managed to read the man pages published as a book while
> at Uni, so between '86 and '90.  I found it in the University Library.
>
> It was published by Western Electric, and had either a dark blue or black cover.

Indeed the Unix manuals were available as printed books.  Volume One was
the manual pages and Volume Two the articles from /usr/doc.  I remember
seeing soft-cover bound copies of the 7th Edition manuals, first in
someone's collection, then for sale, probably in the Computer Literacy
bookshop on Lawrence in Sunnyvale, I think with a dark red cover on the
ones I saw there.  For some reason I never acquired a copy (probably
because by then I already had several other sets of Unix manuals,
including a complete set of boxed AT&T manuals.

I think the next time this happened in the exact same way was with the
"Unix Research System Tenth Edition" books published by Saunders College
Publishing in 1990.  (Which I probably bought at Computer Literacy.)

There were also of course 4.4BSD manuals published and printed jointly
by The USENIX Association and O'Reilly & Associates in 1994.

> However, there were books of System V man pages published, since I bought
> some of them.

Yes, Prentice Hall's "UNIX System V/386" manuals from 1988 grace my
shelves, along with an incomplete set of the UNIX Press "SVR4" manuals
from 1992.

--
					Greg A. Woods <gwoods at acm.org>

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>