[TUHS] Which years saw the introduction of (1) #! and (2) symbolic links

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Dec 29 12:07:46 AEST 2020

FYI: Dennis did symlinks before Joy did and it was 4.1a where they first
show up in the BSD stream
As for shebang, the idiom was recognized by the shell in user space in 1.0
BSD, when the precursor to cshell (the Berkeley shell) was released -  but
it took a while to make it into the kernel as recognized look-a-side to be
more automatic.   My >>memory<< is we had it in the 2BSD release, but it
might not have been added until 3BSD - look at the exec.c code in the BSD
kernels which frankly I'm too lazy tonight to do myself.
ᐧ