[TUHS] IBM PC and XENIX (was: What happened with XENIX? (was Re: Unix/World Magazines))

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Wed Jan 8 10:50:06 AEST 2020

On Tuesday,  7 January 2020 at 16:22:41 -0600, reed at reedmedia.net wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2020, Warren Toomey wrote:
>
>> All, I've uploaded 13 Unix/World magazines from 1984-85 to archive.org.
>
> Thanks!
>
> November 1985 issue has an article by Bill Gates.
>
> Gates wrote that they were optimistic to achieve 400,000 XENIX
> installations -- their critical mass -- within 18 months.
>
> "... IBM has announced XENIX as the multi-user operating sysytem for the
> IBM PC-AT."

XENIX was initially targeted for the PDP-11, for some reason beyond my
understanding.  Looking at the Wikipedia page, it seems that the first
Intel ports were not aimed at the PC-AT.

> "Significantly, at the time the XENIX project was started [mid 1980],
> the IBM Personal Computer had not been announced."

You don't say where this quote comes from.  The use of pluperfect
suggests that it's not from the Unix/World article.  The PC was
announced in August 1981, and the PC-AT was released in August 1984,
so the date of the article fits well.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.