[TUHS] screen editors

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Thu Jan 9 01:15:47 AEST 2020

Chet Ramey wrote in <bbeafd3f-786c-fe60-cf87-0f7e202025f7 at case.edu>:
 |On 1/8/20 4:46 AM, Rudi Blom wrote:
 |> That's a real big vi in RHL.
 |
 |It's vim.

It is a tremendous effort of Bram Moolenaar and the vim
contributors to maintain this codebase that can be configured in
uncountable ways, just looking at the pre-configured feature sets
that exist lead to tiny, small, normal, big and huge.
As far as i know it has real support for languages of the world,
which is a different thing than being UTF-8 all through the
engine.  (But i think emacs is better here, i see one markable
emacs developer taking care on the Unicode list, regarding real
BiDi support, for example.)

With all my sympathy for pico at first and for long, then mg / ee
/ nano / jupp etc., and with my repeated tries to switch over to
vile, in the last two decades i always came back home to vim, for
the one thing or the other.  Two endless loops in all this time.
I only use the smallest thinkable subsets of features, though.
(Only lumberjack-style editing here, anyway.)

--steffen