[TUHS] /bin vs /sbin

Jon Forrest nobozo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 12:17:18 AEST 2020

On 7/21/2020 6:44 PM, Dan Cross wrote:

> When I first came on the scene, there was a convention that I thought
> worked well: the "dataless" node. I have no idea why it was called that;

I don't know either, but I implemented a dataless architecture for
all the OSF/1 machines in the CS department at UC Berkeley in the
1990s.  I wrote this up (see

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/comp.unix.osf.osf1/-s1xW80zXPE/OGENDhH2Sc0J

and it eventually made the OSF1 FAQ.

It made a huge difference back when disks were small.
This was done with NFS 3.X which had no local caching.
I've always wondered how a dataless environment would
work on NFS 4.X, which could do local caching.

Jon