[TUHS] History of popularity of C

Ed Carp erc at pobox.com
Sun Jun 7 19:39:28 AEST 2020

On 6/7/20, Andy Kosela <akosela at andykosela.com> wrote:

> Seriously, is anyone still doing any real development in C besides
> kernel programming and embedded world??  Maybe I was living under a
> rock, but I always had an impression that the industry moved to C++ in
> the late 90s and stayed with it ever since.

Absolutely. C++ isn't the panacea that it's made out to be, it's not
"superior" to C++, it's just C with other useful stuff bolted on, but
it didn't make C obsolete, not by a long shot. Some find the operator
overloading and classes to be a lot more confusing than just function
calls and such, without adding a lot to the language itself. Others,
of course, feel differently. It's more of a religious discussion than
anything, like debating the merits of vi vs. emacs - a pointless
discussion, since you're not going to change anyone else's mind
anyway.

Lots of C still being written out there. My most recent project was
writing a crypto library in C. Writing it was the hard part -
validating it was something else entirely.

One of the nicest things about C++ is that you can write your code
entirely in C and the C++ compiler will compile it, no problem.