[TUHS] Command line options and complexity

Greg A. Woods woods at robohack.ca
Sat Mar 14 12:13:53 AEST 2020

At Fri, 13 Mar 2020 11:36:47 +1100, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com> wrote:
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Command line options and complexity

> On Thursday, 12 March 2020 at 16:22:01 +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Mar 2020, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> > >
> > > And then there's the question why you don't like the standard output.
> > > Because the number strings are too long and difficult to read, maybe?
> > > That's the rationale for the -, option.
> >
> > More than likely; as I approach age 68 I notice that I'm losing some
> > cognitive facility...  I might start using "," and see if I like it, but I
> > see that the Mac doesn't have it (my Penguin is off the air at the
> > moment), and having it as an environment variable would be nice.
>
> Yes, currently only FreeBSD has it.

Because of course NetBSD has chosen a different option letter:  'M'

Unfortunately on NetBSD and FreeBSD the appearance of commas (or
whatever is appropriate) depends on the locale being correctly
configured, and this is not always so easy to do!

--
					Greg A. Woods <gwoods at acm.org>

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>     Avoncote Farms <woods at avoncote.ca>