[TUHS] The most surprising Unix programs

Wesley Parish wobblygong at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 14:59:50 AEST 2020

In a word: ratios. Each note is in a ratio to each other note being
played, either after, while, or after it is being played. It's called
the harmonic or overtone series, and if you've ever looked at a
half-way decent brass instrument method/tutor, you'll have seen it in
all its glory. The nicer-sounding ratios are the ones usually used -
the octaves, the fifths, the fourths and the thirds. The others, the
sixths, the sevenths and the seconds, tend to clash more and/or add a
mournful tone to the music.

https://www.howmusicreallyworks.com/Pages_Chapter_3/3_2.html
Chapter 3:
How Tones and Overtones REALLY Work
gives a non-technical but mathematically sound description: table 4 is
worth its weight in platinum.

Wesley Parish