[TUHS] Zombified SCO comes back from the dead, brings trial back to life against IBM

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Fri Apr 2 01:33:37 AEST 2021

On Thu, Apr 01, 2021 at 05:27:40PM +0200, Josh Good wrote:
> On 2021 Apr  1, 09:12, Warner Losh wrote:
> > The other set of claims made, which may be stronger, was that IBM and
> > Redhat used their dominant position to lock out OSes other than Linux,
> > including FreeBSD from their cloud platform.
>
> I don't think IBM has a dominant position in the cloud business. Microsoft's
> Azure and Amazon's AWS are the dominant forces in the cloud business.
>
> I don't see merit on that claim from XinuOS. They are just firing in all
> directions to find out if by chance they hit some target with money to milk.

And the real joke is that they haven't done any serious work so far as I can
tell.  The original SCO sucked and then they release SVr<something> but so
far as I know, there wasn't a decent development team.  When I was doing
the TCP/IP port I worked with Jeff Radik a bunch but I never got the sense
there were big projects at SCO, it was mostly out sourcing.  That was a
long time ago so who knows.

All I know is that Sun did orders of magnitude more work to the kernel,
libraries, at the rest of user space.