[TUHS] (no subject)

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Apr 7 09:25:53 AEST 2021

On Mon, 5 Apr 2021, M Douglas McIlroy wrote:

> I have been a loyal nonmember of ACM ever since the CACM was converted
> from a journal to a magazine. Usenix didn't strike quite such a decisive
> blow when it abandoned Computing Systems. ;login: remains as a Cheshire
> grin. It remains to be seen whether I'll continue to scan it in its
> non-tactile form.

I quit the ACM when they jacked up their fees to the point of being
unaffordable (and refused to justify it when asked); that, and they were
no longer relevant since I stopped working in academia and went to
industry instead.

Same story with ACS and IEEE (although they made for useful tax
deductions).

-- Dave